Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spinning Plates.

There are days when I feel like all I do is keep plates spinning. I get one plate spinning well enough to spin for a little while, but then I notice that another plate is about to fall, so I've got to leave the plate I'm spinning to go keep the other plate from falling.

The unfortunate thing is that I don't have the ability to take a few plates out of my rotation. I'm not the top leader in the organization, so there have actually been some things that have been given to me against my will. It's a problem that probably everyone in the middle of an organization faces.

I don't have a great solution for this yet. I've read John Maxwell's book - 360 degree leader - and I like a lot of the principles he talks about, about leading up, across and down - but I'd like more information about how to keep the plates spinning all at the same time. I know this has to deal with time-management. But this isn't really the problem, because I'm pretty good at managing my own time. And the problem isn't that I can't say no, because I'm also pretty good at that. But other people take up my time, and I don't have the option to say no to the things that are taking my time because they've been assigned to me.

So, the point of this post. Find a way to keep em spinnin'

0 comments: